We’ve all seen and heard the warnings about how we are spending too much time face down starring at the ever present small screen of our phones. For example, research shows that the anticipation, anxiety and artificial satisfaction of swiping, posting, liking and getting likes on various forms of social media parallels patterns of substance abuse in the brain. That 12 year old tiktoking, Instagram posting and snapping his friends, might as well be Charlie Sheen on a coke fueled Vegas binge.
In spite of some of the mind numbing dissociative fallout smartphones may be causing in our progeny, they are powerful tools that can help smooth out your road to Mammoth.
Here are five apps that I have found to be particularly useful for that journey:
The internet is not for lack of ballistic apps. In fact there are some pretty powerful calculators that will predict exactly where your freedom seeds will land. Ballistic App’s Advanced Edition (BALLISTIC AE), however, stands out from the fray combining a robust JBM ballistics calculator (with Litz coefficients) with an intuitive user interface. Every shooter must get to know his weapons and load combination inside out, and the free version Ballistic App is an essential tool to flatten that learning curve. Furthermore, the advanced version makes your ballistic education more complete. Being able to change single or multiple variables easily also helps in developing loads on “paper” before having to spend valuable time and money at the range.
- Kestrel K5 LiNK / Drop integration (in-app purchase)
- An advanced heads-up display for mounted operation
- Advanced wind kit configurable for up to 8 wind sources
- 3D Trajectory imaging for visualizing bullet path
- Mil-Dot ranging heads-up display
- Adjustable Units: Elevation and windage output units in inches, centimeters, arcminutes, milliradians, and click values ranging from full click to 1/8 click (or custom click values)
- Calculate your own ballistic coefficients based on two chronograph measurements or data from the back of an ammo box
Mammoth is not just about shooting well, You have to be able to ruck fast recover and ruck fast again. IF you can’t stay on pace you’ve failed mammoth. The ASICS Runkeeper™ app, with its user programmable audio cues, helps push you in your training and during the event itself. It’s not just a pace announcer it can also help you set goals, keep your training on track and even link you to and challenge other mammoth competitors. If anyone is interested in a mammoth training group?
Here’s more of what RunKeeper can do on your road to Mammoth:
- Track workouts: Record activities like running, walking, biking, hiking and more manually or with GPS
- Set goals: Maybe you want to get faster, run farther or lose a little weight. No matter your goal, this app will help you reach it
- Listen to audio: Choose the stats you want to hear during your activity like pace, distance, and time (available in five additional motivating voices in English), plus Apple Music and Spotify integration
- Follow a plan: Routines lead to progress. Choose a personalized plan that will help get you out the door, day after day
- Stay motivated: Join in-app challenges, get exercise rewards, participate in virtual running groups and share achievements
- See progress: It’s what this is all about. Runkeeper will log your stats to show you how you’re progressing against your running goals
- Save and share routes
- Create challenges based on frequency or distance and connect with other users
- Compare workouts and track progress
Reliably predicting where your bullets will impact is the key to getting as many impacts as possible. Ballistic-X is the easiest way to calculate shot groups and to zero a rifle. Designed by shooters, the simple and intuitive interface allows user to setup their own preferences. BX also offers useful data and labeling options that aid in Load Development.
The ATZ (Adjustment To Zero) feature tells shooter precisely how to adjust turrets to bring your rifle to Zero. As a result, allowing a perfect zero with fewer rounds shot. ATZ works dynamically at any range and is compatible with all turret options. Extremely helpful on your road to Mammoth
Using the App is incredibly simple :
- Take image of Target (within App or from Library)
- Designate reference size via Settings (default is 1”)
- Input distance from Target
- Select the Caliber used
- Mark Point Of Aim and Impacts
- Add Overlay, Label, Crop, and Export / Share
- Adjust Optic according to ATZ
- Mark the two points on target which coincide with reference (grid target or steel target). The distance between the two points is reference size
IOS Voice Memos
At each stage the Range Officer will read the Course of Fire (COF) twice and only twice. Sometimes you just can’t take notes fast enough. Recording the COF for playback later ensures you go to the line knowing which targets to hit and more importantly will help you realize which targets not to shoot at (red Ipsc anyone?). Voice Memos turns your iPhone, iPad, or Apple Watch into a portable audio recorder. A new, design makes it even easier to capture and share notes. With iCloud support, you can capture audio on the go with your iOS device, then save it for after action reports.
Here are some key features:
- Capture new recordings right from your wrist using your apple watch
- Record using the built-in microphone, a Bluetooth headset, or a compatible external microphone
- Choose compressed or uncompressed audio formats
- Automatically name recordings based on your location
- iCloud support to keep your recordings and edits in sync across all your devices
- Quickly find recordings with the search feature
- Jump 15 seconds forward or back in your recording
- Share recordings via AirDrop, Mail, Messages, and more
Kestrel LiNK Ballistics
Knowing your environmentals and how your bullets flight path changes depending on the weather is essential to Mammoth success. The standard weather/ballistic device for long range shooters is the Kestrel 5000 series. Additionally, the Kestrel LiNK® Ballistics App gives you the ability to manage key features and functions of your connected Kestrel Ballistics device to maximize convenience and boost your performance.
Quickly and easily create, upload, download, and store gun profiles and access the Applied Ballistics and Hornady libraries of lab-tested bullet parameters and profiles for use in your Kestrel Ballistics Meter using the Gun Profile Manager.
No one has yet found the secret sauce to success on your road to Mammoth, but maybe these apps can provide a few of the ingredients.