Virginia’s “Assault firearms” ban moves forward
Categories: But True, Entertainment, News, Public Service Announcement
Voted 12 yays to 9 nays, the Committee on Public Safety Virginia House Bill 961 moves on to the next step. Hence, the bill on “assault firearms” will be debated on the floor of Virginia’s House of Representatives. If they pass the bill, the Virginia Senate will take a vote. The final stop before it becomes law would be the governor’s desk. Consequently, there is still time for action, but less time than most realize.
What’s in the bill?
House Bill 961: Prohibiting sale, transport, etc. of of assault firearms, certain firearm magazines, silencers(sic), trigger activators and their penalties. The full bill can be read here.
Above all, you should *read the bill* entirely for yourself, but here are a few takeaways:
- The bill makes it a Class 6 felony to import, sell, transfer, manufacture, purchase, possess, or transport large-capacity firearm magazines, silencers, and trigger activators.
- Legal owners would be required to (i)render above listed items inoperable; (ii) remove above listed items from the Commonwealth; (iii) transfer the above listed items to a person outside the Commonwealth who is not prohibited from possessing it; or (iv) surrender the above listed items to a state or local law enforcement agency.
- Any person who legally owns an assault firearm, will have to pay for a permit and register them.
- That information now becomes available on Virginia Criminal Information Network (VCIN).
- Legal owners will have to produce your permit and photo ID when asked to do so by any law enforcement. officer.
- Failure to do so will result in a civil penalty.
- A person issued a permit may possess an assault firearm only in specified locations (home, range, gunsmith etc.)
If you have an opinion on the matter contact your representatives! You can walk into their office and ask to speak to a staffer. Additionally, emailing, calling, or sending handwritten letters are tools available to you, the citizen, to voice your opinion.
Leave a comment to tell us what you think!